| yes the "moo" was off for take-off and landing...kinda... |
But better late than never in this case so let me proceed. I wish I were a better writer so I could more eloquently express the joy, happiness and love Easton and I both experienced over the way-too-quick weekend with the Tomlinson side of our family. My heart almost exploded as I watched Easton and his "gate gamma" meet for the first time and it was quite wonderful to hug her and my aunts, uncles and cousins myself after way too many years! Our weekend was beautiful despite the steady rain that camped out over the area for 48 straight hours. That was okay, though, because there was PLENTY to talk about, oodles of toys to play with and most importantly the bad weather kept me closer to Martha's (aka. my Aunt Nancy) kitchen.
We left on Friday from Dayton and in my excitement we probably left the house a liiiiitle too early for our 1030 flight so made a quick detour up to Carriage Hill Farm for 20 minutes or so and threw some rocks in the pond. Easton plus rocks and water are a winning combination at any time of the day.
| Relaxing in the sunshine before heading over to the airport |
| Row 34...of 37?? Really, Ma? |
We arrived safely, grabbed our bag and wheeled on over to the MARTA station to catch our train...and maaaybe we paused a moment for some Popeye's chicken and biscuits before boarding. It took us about 45 minutes to reach Dunwoody and Uncle Gene and "Gate Gamma" arrived to swoop us up. Easton was kinda bummed to get strapped back in a chair but quickly got over it when he saw the super fancy rig he was assigned to. At last we arrived at our final destination, The Evans house! They recently built a home in a 50+ community called Cresswind at Lake Lanier and Grandma T lives there with them in the lower level. It's beautiful...like it was plucked straight from a magazine beautiful.
Anyway, Easton got a quick snack and then it was time to explore and play! They have a to-die-for entryway hallway covered in hardwood floors...perfect for racing trucks and I'm sure that's exactly what Nancy and Gene were thinking when they picked them out. ;)
While we were playing outdoors my cousin Jill and her two kiddos, Hailey and Colby, arrived for a quick visit and stayed for dinner since her hubby Scott had a tennis match that evening. The last time I saw her was at her wedding about six years ago so it was fabulous to see her and get our kids together. They all got along famously.
Anyway, Easton got a quick snack and then it was time to explore and play! They have a to-die-for entryway hallway covered in hardwood floors...perfect for racing trucks and I'm sure that's exactly what Nancy and Gene were thinking when they picked them out. ;)
After the truck rally I thought E may like to calm it down for a little bit...maybe take a nap...but not a chance. He was too excited so we took him outside to play for a bit since there was a brief break in the rain.
![]() |
| outside? outside? outside? like a broken record... |
| Easton loved him some Uncle Gene |
![]() |
| I love the shot of the two of them! Hailey's passing along the secrets of the universe, I'm sure. |
We played a bit longer outdoors until our shoes were soaked through. While we were playing my Uncle Terry (my dad's older brother who Easton called grandpa all weekend) and Aunt Sue arrived and Martha called "dinner's ready" from the kitchen...there's a chance I sprinted up the stairs and left my child to fend for himself when I heard that. :)
![]() |
| Crash Hot Potatoes and Sautéed Green Beans w/Pine Nuts and Lemon (don't think this is the exact recipe but it's gotta be close) |
The rest of the evening was spent catching up with everyone until Jill had to bug out to get the kids home to bed. I got Easton all cleaned up and in bed for a story but only got through about 15 words before I heard his heavy breathing...I laid there for just a bit and soaked that moment in.
| goodnight, jeff, er, I mean easton |
I extracted myself from that snugglefest without waking him and headed back to the living room. Nancy, Sue, Grandma and I watched "It's Complicated" and I barely hung on through the end. Super cute movie but I was exhausted.
Saturday was another rainy and cold day so we hunkered down indoors...but not before scarfing down some homemade waffles, fresh baked cinnamon rolls, bacon and eggs!! After a bit Gene took Grandma, Easton and I on a brief jaunt over to the Cresswind clubhouse. Grandma got to show us where she does her swim aerobics and where she dominates the card scene. They also have a beautiful workout facility, a teaching kitchen (that my grandmother didn't know existed...whaaat?), a huge outdoor pool and numerous other amenities. In that moment I wanted to be 50. I'm over that now but it truly happened. We left the clubhouse and went down to the marina to take a quick gander at the water.
| Of no surprise, Easton found some rocks. And threw all of them into the water. |
From there we returned to the house and...surprise, surprise...the kitchen was hoppin' again! Grandma was whipping up her famous cherry cheesecake and Nancy was preparing some gourmet turkey burgers and cheesy hash brown casserole for dinner that night.

And oh by the way...they just happened to make this little beauty for Easton!
How adorable, right? I cried. Yep. Just like a little baby. I was just so touched by the gesture...and my cousins were coming over later that night with their kids to have dinner and a little birthday celebration. I was so excited!! But we still had time to kill that afternoon before the hoopla of the Arendell/Evans arrival. So Easton showed Gate Gamma his iPad skills before fighting me tooth and nail over taking a nap. I won but two year olds can be difficult little creatures :)
While he was napping we watched another movie, Joyful Noise, and I silently wondered if I had possibly died and gone to heaven. I mean, two movies in less than 24 hours? It was official, I was never leaving.
Finally around 4:30 or so...I think...everyone arrived for dinner and the kids got acquainted very quickly. Matt and Margaret and their two boys Candler and Bryson had just come from a carnival where C & B won some toys for Easton. The boys told me all about how they won them and wanted to make sure Easton could play with them...it was ADORABLE!!! We all hung out in the best kid basement in the world...complete with its own swing!!

![]() |
| Easton loves playing the piano -- just needs some work on how much pressure to apply to the keys at times... |
Eventually it was time to eat dinner. It was delish...again. No surprise there. :)
| I wish we could do Saturday dinners like this all the time :) |
And then we did a little birthday celebration...
And took a photo of Great Grandma with all the kids...
| Not sure I took a better photo than this one all weekend. Bryson's thrilled, Easton's absolutely loving it but poor little Hailey is so upset... |
I didn't want Saturday evening to end but, of course, it did. The Arendells and Evans all turned into pumpkins around 7:30, I think (my brain doesn't remember details such as time of day while on vacation). Easton hit the sack like a champ again and I followed closely behind.
We were up with the sun on Sunday morning. Not to catch a flight but because my son refuses to sleep past 6:30...who am I kidding...6:00 am anymore. So we managed to wake up Terry and Sue who, conveniently for them, were sharing the Jack & Jill bathroom with us. Love you. Sorry, again. Easton tried to get into their room about 50 times that morning so finally Sue came to our door and made me feel better that she was up. Easton ate breakfast...I drank LOTS of coffee.
Our flight didn't leave until 2:15 pm so we had some more time to soak in the family that morning.
![]() |
| I. Love. This!!!! |
Eventually it was time to head back to the airport and to our real life of frozen waffles and a rented townhouse -- no clubhouse included. :) What a wonderful weekend. We are truly blessed to have the warm, welcoming and loving family we do and I can't wait to schedule our next trip to see them all again! A huge, HUGE, thank you for everything!! We love you :)














Comments
Post a Comment
Leave a note for Team Anders!